Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ethos and Pathos

The chapter called Arguments based on Character, or Ethos, mostly uses political examples to illustrate the point. It discusses John Kerry's past with Vietnam, which I think is an ethical debate amongst the American people in general. His issues with the past in Vietnam were a fairly substantial issue during the 2004 election and it's the American people's ethics which made that so. The other chapter is about emotional appeals, or pathos, and in my opinion is the most prominant and effective of the appeals. An argument can be funny, sad, happy, enraging, or many other emotional distinctions; but they all affect people in different ways. The most engaging ad for me was the American flag with some of our most prominant corporate icons in place of our stars. It comments on the priorities of our country and questions that which we hold so dear to us.

1 comment:

NoEmI MtZ said...

Thats true emotions are what makes an argument catch our eyes. The use of pathos draws our attention then we read the facts. I also agree with you, I like the flag too. When I took socioloy I saw an image similiar to that one. Its true that's how other people view the USA.